A recipe for a delicacy that fulfils the desire of your tongue and also the insatiable hunger..
Selection of Asparagus
The duration between February and June, the spring season is the best time to buy Asparagus. The various colours in which you can see them are green, purple and white. Look out for the stem with closed tips and firm with bright green colour. Always try to avoid bunches with split ends.
Cutting the Asparagus
It has a simple way to cut. You have to just bend and snap it, the asparagus will break at the right place and then discard the woody ends.
Storing Asparagus in the refrigerator
Cut a half inch from the bottom level and wrap it in a damp wet towel and then put them into a plastic bag and leave it up to five days for the Asparagus to be fresh for your cooking.
Six best ways to Cook those long spears of Asparagus
- Take a steamer bowl and place the Asparagus
- Cover it with a lid and leave it for cooking.
- Once steam is formed and the Asparagus are bright green colour.
- This will take 4 to 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and taste the steamed Asparagus once it is cooled down.
- Take a bowl and drop asparagus.
- Pour water and add some salt.
- Bring the water to boil and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cook until it becomes bright green and tender.
- Leave it for cooling and it’s done the right way for your appetite.
- Apply a layer of olive oil, pepper and salt over the Asparagus.
- Cook it on a pan at 2000 for at least 10 minutes.
- During broiling toss the pan once in a while for better sautéing.
- Wait to see the tips turning to brown colour and the spears becoming tender.
Now it’s done right way for you to gratify the palate.
- Leave a sauté pan of large size over a medium high flame.
- Add a table spoon of olive oil and a spoon of butter.
- Add the Asparagus in the pan and sauté it in the oil.
- Cook with the lid for 3 minutes until they turn green and crisp.
- Remove the lid and heat it in high for another 2 or 3 minutes sauteing it until it turns brown.
- Season it with salt and pepper
- Cut the asparagus into 2 inches in size.
- Take a sauté pan and add some olive oil and butter as per your taste.
- Sauté the spears of asparagus in high flame for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Wait until they turn brown in colour.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
It’s ready to taste.
- This can be well prepared in the oven.
- Preheat the oven at 450o F.
- Place the roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Now leave it in the oven under the broiler.
- Roast it by turning once or twice for 12 minutes.
Now it’s ready to taste at room temperat
1 cup of asparagus contains the following nutrients:
- 27 calories
- 2.95 grams of protein
- 0.12 grams of fat
- 2.1 grams of fiber
- 1.88 grams of sugar
Health benefits of Asparagus
The entire Asparagus stem can be eaten as they are tender to be consumed.
It has good amount of minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc.
Vitamins include C, B, A, K, and E.
The antioxidant properties can be boosted due to the presence of flavonoids and polyphenols. The soluble and insoluble fibers helps to overcome the constipation and enhances healthy digestion, It especially feeds your guts with good bacteria.
Happy eating !!!!