Seborrhoea is the medical term given to those tiny flakes falling you’re your shoulders commonly called dandruff.
If the condition is not severe home remedies will be a boon to put an end to dandruff. When you come to know that your shampoos don’t do anything good, then it’s time to turn towards your doctor for help.
Let’s begin with the causes for dandruff. The fungus which causes dandruff is Malassezia which grows on your scalp and causes irritated oily scalp.
- Shampooing the hair if not regular.
- Dry skin.
- If already suffering from psoriasis and eczema.
List out some factors which makes you more susceptible.
Age: It usually prolongs for the people between adulthood and middle. But then, it does persist in some people.
Male: Some research has proven that male hormones play a role in causing dandruff.
Certain ailments: Immune weakening disease like HIV may also increase the risk of dandruff.
Some measures to be taken regularly to keep away from dandruff.
- With the help of your doctor’s guidance select a anti-dandruff shampoo and conditioner.
- Wash your scalp regularly with the chosen anti dandruff shampoo.
- Regularly wash your head in times when the dandruff is very severe.
Look for the following signs to know whether you have dandruff or NOT
- Itchiness and redness on your scalp.
- White flakes on your dress at the shoulder region.
- Rashes on your chest.
- Itchiness and rashes on the eyebrows and beard.
- Ea eczema.
But do not worry if you have any of the above symptoms. You can pick up any remedy given below to get rid of dandruff permanently.
Long list of dandruff relief home remedies for you. Just pick the one suitable and handy for you.
Use them either on a daily basis or weekly basis and see the magic that happens … You can get rid of these dry flakes, dandruff once and for all permanently. Only thing is to make sure of the ingredients to be mixed as per the required quantities to make a proper composition to get rid of dandruff.
Apple cider Vinegar
This is one of the best known and mostly preferred natural remedies for dandruff. But there is a need of proper composition mixture to make the application perfect for your scalp.
Preparation of the scalp pack
- Add equal parts of cider vinegar and water and keep it aside (Quantity can differ according to your hair thickness).
- Once you finish washing your hair apply the mix prepared.
- Massage your scalp with this mix using your finger tips.
- Leave it on your scalp for up to 20 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
You can repeat it weekly twice to keep away from dandruff.
Mehendi scalp pack:
This pack acts as a good conditioner to your hair and helps to get rid of dandruff.
How to prepare:
- Add a few tablespoons of mehandi and add the required quantity of curd to bring it to a paste constituency to apply on your scalp.(It will be good if you can get fresh leaves).
- Keep it in an iron bowl overnight or for 8-10 hours.
- Apply it on your scalp properly covering your every region of your head.
- Leave it for 3 hours. (If you’re afraid of catching a cold, you can overcome it by applying 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil in the mix prepared).
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
This will prove to be the best and easy way for your healthy keeping hair.
It is a good nourisher known for centuries. To do away with dandruff you have to just add lemon juice.
How to use it:
- Take a required amount of coconut oil and heat it.
- To this add equal quantities of lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture gently on your scalp and massage with our fingertips.
- Leave it on your scalp for at least 30 minutes and then rinse with your favourite shampoo.
Repeat this weekly twice and your dandruff is gone.
This is another constituent found in your kitchen which can not only act as a conditioner but also makes your scalp dandruff free.
Steps to prepare the pack
- In a bowl soak 2 or 3 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight .
- In the morning make it into a paste.
- Now add 1 or 2 spoons of lemon juice and mix it well.
- Apply to the scalp and leave it for 30 -45 minutes.
- Then wash it thoroughly. Do not use any shampoo on that day.
Repeat this weekly twice to keep away from dandruff.
It is a very effective treatment to cure dandruff.
How to apply
- Grind a few neem leaves into a paste.
- Apply this paste on the scalp and leave for 10-15 minutes.
- After washing you can shampoo your hair with your desired shampoo.
Treat your hair this way weekly once to do away with the dandruff.
One other best remedy to get rid of dandruff is the use of orange peel in the best way. The orange rind is rich in calcium, vitamin A that has a good effect on your scalp.
Preparation of the pack
- Take a few pieces of orange rind in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Put these two in a mixie jar and grind it into a smooth paste.
- Apply this on to your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Now wash it with your best shampoo.
Repeat this twice a week to keep dandruff at bay.
Don’t look at the pungent smell of garlic. It can turn out to be a best treatment for your scalp to get rid of dandruff.
- Take 2 tablespoon of fresh garlic juice by crushing it.
- To this add 2 tablespoon of honey.
- Apply this mix on your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with lukewarm water.
- You can also shampoo your hair if needed with a mild one.
This is one other best cure for dandruff in a very easy way.
- Prepare a mixture of 2 cups of vinegar and 1 cup of water in a bowl.
- Boil this and keep it aside.
- Each time you wash your hair take half a cup of this mixture and wash your hair and then just rinse it.
- This relieves you from itchiness and dryness of the scalp and gets rid of dandruff.
It is one of the best conditioner as they are rich in biotin that is very beneficial in controlling dandruff.
How to use it
- Remove the egg white from the yolk. Apply the yol on your scalp and massage it gently.
- Leave it on your scalp for 45-60 minutes.
- Wash it with a fragrant shampoo as it has a strong odour.
Using this regularly not only relieves you from dandruff but also makes your hair healthy.
It is an antioxidant as well as has a good anti fungal properties to treat dandruff.
- Take two tablespoons of green tea leaves and boil it in half a tumbler of water.
- Leave it to boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Cool the decoction.
- Apply it on your scalp for 30 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
- You can do this even thrice a week and it will keep your scalp away from dandruff.
These leaves have the best antifungal property which can help to overcome dandruff permanently.
How to prepare
- Take 2 tablespoons of amla powder and add a handful of basil leaves and grind it into a smooth paste with little amount of water.
- This paste can be applied on the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Then wash it with lukewarm water.
Olive oil with few other ingredients can form a scalp nutrient to forgo dandruff.
Scalp pack preparation
- Take 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of castor oil.
- Slightly heat the oil.
- Then add 2 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Now apply this mix on your scalp and massage it.
- Leave it on your scalp for nearly 1 hour and then rinse with lukewarm water.
You can repeat this thrice a week to keep dandruff away.
This is as good as any other remedy for your healthy scalp.
- Take a mild shampoo that you use regularly.
- Add a few drops of lemon grass oil to it and apply to your scalp.
- Leave it for 2 or 3 minutes and rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water.
A natural herb which gives a soothing effect on the scalp and helps reduce formation of dry scales.
- Take an Aloe Vera succulent leaf.
- Extract the gel of Aloe Vera after peeling the skin.
- Make a paste of the gel.
- Add to this a tablespoon of lime juice and a handful of neem leaves.
- Apply this gel on your scalp and leave it for 1 hour.
- Rinse the hair with lukewarm water,
- Avoid using shampoo.
‘Prevention is better than cure’
So few preventive measures to be dandruff free.
- Choose the right shampoo for your hair after clear advice from a skin specialist.
- Keep your scalp clean by washing your hair on a regular basis every alternate day.
- Use only mild herbal shampoo.
- Use a clean brush to comb your hair.
- Keep yourself stress free.
- Have a healthy diet rich in zinc and vitamin B.
- Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water every day.
- Avoid taking sugary foods and dairy products in larger quantities..
- Exfoliating your scalp helps to remove the extra layer of dead cells and reduces the dry flakes that causes dandruff.
Shampoos can be tried but then only after your doctor’s advice.
Shampoos are classified according to the medical composition in them.
- Pyrithione zinc shampoos- these are specially medicated with zinc pyrithione an antibacterial and antifungal agent.
- Shampoos having salicylic acid – these when applied help to dry scales on the scalp.
- Shampoos with selenium sulfide-they act as antifungal agents. Use as directed by the physician as they sometimes discolour the hair and scalp.
- Ketoconazole shampoos – this is the one which is widely used to completely destroy the dandruff causing fungi that thrive on your scalp.
Note: Before you use any shampoo do check with your doctor to be on the safe side.
Now with all these tips in your hand you can confidently step out with a dandruff free scalp, a healthy scalp…. Goodbye to Dandruff once and for all.